The origins of Dozza, ancient or Ducia Dutia date back to ancient times. Inhabited since the Bronze Age, the site was first subject to the Gauls, then the Romans.Its name derives, according to historians, a word from medieval Latin, dence, which would indicate the presence at a pipe or channel designed to bring together the water, here in the past always limited, in a tub or tank for the benefit of the peoples of these lands.
This etymology, now hallowed by tradition, is a reflection of the ancient coat of arms dozzese Community and in the names of the church Santa Maria Assunta in the Pool and the ancient parish church San Lorenzo in piss.
The original settlement in what can perhaps be identified topographically Vicus Calancus, founded in Roman times, which in 1086 was surrounded by walls and equipped with a tower on the only entrance to the Village by Bolognesi, thus giving rise to the present village.
The oldest documented date to 1126, when it is appointed for the first time Castrum Dutie. The latter, in the mid-century. XII, was granted, or rather confirmed by the church of Imola, hosting a number of occasions, the bishop and canons of the cathedral of Imola after the destruction of the castle of St. Operating cash flow from Imola in 1150.In 1198, the Guelph Bologna managed to seize the castle, causing the exodus of Dozzesi of the Ghibellines who took refuge in Imola, where they found home on a street now called Via Homes Dozza.
The castle was rebuilt in 1220 on the initiative of King John of Jerusalem, the papal legate in Romagna, in 1222 it was occupied again by the Allies with Faentini Bolognesi. In 1310 the Bolognese initiative Romeo Pepoli, commissioner of the war, drawing on the work of the builders of Arpino Cantagallo and Bernard Montecatone, they provided to fortify the fortress was erected, reconstructed or more likely, by the same mid-Bolognesi sec. XIII, in memory of their work performed during the sovereignty of Bologna is still a tower of just said Bolognesi.Also, that year, was fortified stronghold, built in 1250 to defend the entrance tower to the village, with a Rivellino. In 1412, after bitter fighting between the factions Guelphs and Ghibellines, the family feud became Dozza Alidosi and then the Riario. In 1494 the Rock was under the rule of Caterina Sforza, wife of Jerome Riario.
During his rule, the building was again expanded and equipped with efficient defense works project of the military Giorgio Marchesi. With the new fortifications that are in place from the Marquesas, the fortress could hold out for more than a month to repeated and violent attacks by Cesare Borgia, who took possession in 1499.A turning point in the destiny of the town came in 1529 when it had the previous year after a brief rule of the Malvezzi family of Bologna, was transferred by Pope Clement VII for 4,000 gold crowns on the fief Cardinal Lorenzo Camping, Bologna , in recognition of services rendered by him as papal legate in England, at a particularly delicate, inter alia, would have led to the posting of the English Church from Rome.
In 1728, with the death of Lorenzo Camping, last male of his family, the Marquis de Dozza came to inheritance devolved to Campings Francesca Maria, wife of Matthew Malvezzi, which so moved the feudal rights to the latter family whose surname, together with that of the extinct Campsites, was thereafter to form the inseparable.
In 1830 Dozza back part of the Papal States, to form an independent town in 1861, with the proclamation of the Kingdom of Italy.